There are some restrictions to RSLAs to consider before creating your remarketing campaign:
RLSAs are only available when users search through Google or Google partner sites. While Google has announced it will delay its plans to phase out third-party cookies in the Chrome browser until 2023, when this happens, it will impact the ability of marketers to remarket. Therefore it is important to advertise on platforms that use first-party data that allows tracking.
Your remarketing list needs a minimum of 1,000 cookies before you can use the RLSA feature.
The membership limit for RLSA lists is capped at 540 days.
Setting Up A RLSA Campaign
First things first, you'll need to set up your site for remarketing by adding a Google Ads pixel tag to your website or app audience source. This small block of code will add cookies to each visitor and include them on a remarketing list, which you can later use for better targeting ads.
Once your site has a Google pixel tag, you'll find a couple of automatically created general remarketing lists. You can use these or customise your own based on your needs.
Next, you'll need to set up your initial PPC Ad campaign to begin using segmented remarketing lists.
RLSAs can be created in two ways:
- for bidding & targeting to ad groups
- for bidding & targeting to campaigns
NB: You won't be able to apply remarketing lists to both levels simultaneously for the same campaign. If you've applied your remarketing lists to your ad groups and want to switch to using them for a campaign, you must first remove them from the ad group and then apply them to your larger campaign.
Follow these steps to apply an RLSA to a Search ad or campaign:
- In Google Ads, create a new Search Ad campaign or ad group, or select one you've created already.
- Click "Audiences" to the left side of the page.
- Click the pencil icon to add an audience list.
- Using the "Add to" section, select either "Campaign" or "Ad Group" for where you want to apply your RLSA.
- Click either "Select a campaign" or "Select an ad group," then choose the options you want to target.
- From the "How they interacted with your business" drop-down menu choose "Website visitors."
- Check the boxes for each RLSA you wish to add.
- Click "Save".
You'll then be directed to confirm your targeting settings.
There are two targeting settings to choose from:
- Observation: this setting lets you observe the performance of your lists without restricting the reach of your campaign or group.
- Targeting: this setting will only show ads to members of your remarketing lists but will limit your reach.